Friday, August 14, 2015

Spiced Carrots and Raisins Salad

I said earlier too that I like salads, in fact, I am very fond of them. However, I am not fond of those leafy vegetables in them. I am willing to try any salad that looks colourful and has some interesting dressing. I try making them in different combinations of vegetables, fruits, sprouts and nuts. Likewise, i have found that different dressings are very good too. If you like vegetables with a bit of raw crunch, the options are innumerable.
Around the time that my daughter was suggesting different salads, I found one carrot salad to which raisins were added and the dressing was simple ginger infused honey. That sounded like a good one to have for my mid morning snack.



I made the carrot salad, but, with more vegetables and toasted sesame seeds added. I made a dressing that gave the salad an extra texture with the mint yoghurt dressing along with the honey and ginger. That was one colourful and flavourful platter of vegetables and the toasted sesame added to the flavour.

Spiced Carrot and Raisins Salad

Serves 2
Ingredients:
For the salad:
2 Carrots julienned
2 tablespoons golden raisins (those have a slight sour taste)
8-10 cherry tomatoes halved
10 green grapes skin and seed  removed and halved
Few fresh basil leaves torn in bits
2 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds

For the dressing:
2 tablespoons thick yoghurt
1 teaspoon honey
1/4 teaspoon dry mint leaves crushed
1" piece ginger crushed
1/4 teaspoon ginger extract

Method:
For the dressing:
Whisk the yoghurt well with honey and ginger extract.
Add the crushed mint leaves and the ginger.

For the salad:
Assemble in a salad bowl the vegetables and the grapes, toss the raisins in.
Sprinkle the sesame seeds and drop the torn basil leaves.

Toss the dressing to incorporate.
Serve at room temperature or chilled.
No Croutons Required is an event that is hosted alternately by Lisa and Jacqueline every month. This August Edition is held at Tinned Tomatoes. My salad is being sent to the same.


 

3 comments:

  1. We make it a little different. Carrot, Tomato,Green chilies. Raisins. Nuts (optional). Dressing - lime juice, salt, a little sugar or honey, pepper, olive oil. season with mustard. Garnish with corriander.

    Will try this variation.

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
Welcome and thank you for taking time to drop by.
I appreciate your valuable comments and tips.
I sincerely hope to improve with them.
Hope we shall interact often.
Thanks once again,
Lata Raja.