Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Green gram and oats dosa



Sometimes planning for breakfast on lazy weekends when I have no clue where to start with makes it a task I can do without. I ask my husband if he had something specific in mind and then I can go about it. But the usual reply will be "whatever you think is good enough".  That is some help I was hoping for. I also want to get away from the regular on the menu dishes only when I have time on hand. There is not much I do when it is just the two of us. Now that my daughter is here, she comes up with her wishlist and my husband has no option but to go with it. Thus, when she asked me why I had not posted this dosai with whole green gram on the blog so far, I had the Saturday's breakfast set.

I usually adapt the recipe from Ms. Mallika Badrinath given in the book 100 Tiffin Varieties. This time I put my own proportions and varied the ingredients. I had some white oats on hand that needed to be used up quickly. So, I soaked the green gram overnight, the oats was given a thorough wash and left to keep the moisture for a few minutes before grinding. Since this is one dosai that does not require fermentation, I put the ingredients to grind in the morning and let the batter sit until only I made the side dish. the green chillis and the whole gram gave the dosai a nice green colour. The oats gave it some softness and it was perfect for us.

Susan's My Legume Love Affair is now an event taken up by Lisa's Kitchen. This month's Edition 61 is being hosted by Aparna. I would love this recipe to be featured there.

Ingredients:
Makes 10 slightly thick Dosais
1 & 1/2 cups whole green gram/ mung beans
1/2 cup white or quick cooking oats
5 green chillis (adjust according to heat and required spice level)
2 tablespoons horse gram (optional)
Salt to taste
Few teaspoons cooking oil


Method:
Wash the green gram and the horse gram giving a few rinses. Drain and soak them together in sufficient water for a few hours. I soak them overnight.
About half an hour prior to grinding, wash the oats clean and drain allowing it to retain some moisture.
Run the soaked legumes along with the green chillis. Once they have been ground coarsely, add the oats and run the machine for a few minutes more to achieve a batter that is not very fine.
Remove the batter from the jar of the machine and add the salt. Give a few brisk stirs to mix the salt.
Heat the gridle/ non stick pan. Drop a ladle full of the batter and spread in circular dosai.
Drizzle some oil over the batter.
Flip it over and when both sides are done remove from the pan.
Serve hot with chutney of choice.


You may adjust the texture of the batter according to the thickness you desire for the dosai. I usually have it thick and like to pat it around the pan with my palm. It is also easy to spread like regular rice and dhal ground dosais.
You may chop onions and add to the batter or spread them over while cooking the dosai.
Though fermentation is not required, there is no harm making the batter ahead for later use.
I have served them here with tomato-onion gojju and milagai podi.
Enjoy them with your choice of side dishes.

5 comments:

  1. i have tasted green gram dal dosai which is pesaratu , never thought of adding Oats in this :) good way to start a day !

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely and healthy combo of moong with oats. The dosai looks crispy and tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Healthy dish made even more healthier with the addition of oats

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a healthy dosa, even i do sometimes this combo Akka, glad to see you in blogging after a long.

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
Welcome and thank you for taking time to drop by.
I appreciate your valuable comments and tips.
I sincerely hope to improve with them.
Hope we shall interact often.
Thanks once again,
Lata Raja.