Friday, August 6, 2010

Eggless Ginger biscuits



Last week, I tried this recipe, adapted from a book Celebrity Chefs' Cookbooks: Betty Saw, Cookies Galore.

I am very fond of the McVities Ginger nuts, a biscuit pack that I am likely to grab often. The love for the biscuits is so, that while in Egypt, I used to stop at the Shell pumping station's Select outlet in Cairo, just to pick them up. They were not available in the super markets in Port Said.

The book had a very workable recipe..but to my dismay, I can not just walk in to a store and pick most of the ingredients required. However, I wandered through the many sites and found
a way to make home made golden syrup and bought some interesting ginger jam which substitued preserved stem ginger ( preserved stem ginger can be made at home also) and I used freshly grated ginger too.
The resultant cookies were not really cookies but slightly thinner ginger biscuits which were a perfect match in texture and taste to my favourite McVities.
Now I have some more golden syrup left over from making 1/4th of the above recipe and would try the cookies again.

I give below the ingredients for the recipe the by Betty Saw for those who want to try the original. My substitutes are in brackets next to them. The method is similar to that given in her book, but the few alterations that arise with substitution of few ingredients.
Ingredients:
Shaped and hand moulded cookies/ Makes 62
Preparation time: 30 minutes/ Baking 15-20 minutes
400 grams/14 1/4 ounces/2&2/3 cups Self raising flour
1 1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon Ground Ginger ( I grated 2" piece of fresh ginger)
50 grams /1 3/4 ounces Preserved Stem Ginger chopped finely (I used 3 table spoons ready to use ginger jam)
250 grams/9 ounces/1 cup soft margarine ( I mixed 100grams vegetable shotening to 150 grams margarine)
2 tablespoons Golden syrup
175 grams/6 1/4 ounces/3/4 cups Castor sugar




Method:
Line baking trays with non-stick baking sheet.
Sift together the flour, baking powder and the soda-bi-carbonate.
Mellt the margarine-shortening mix and the golden syrup. Remove from heat and stir in the stem ginger (ginger jam in this case along with the fresh ginger) and sugar.
Stir in the sifted dry ingredients to form a soft dough.
Roll this dough into walnut sized balls and place them on the prepared trays. ( I rolled them and pressed them down a bit, made a design with the back of a fork)
Pre heat the oven to 165 degrees C/330 degrees F ( My oven settings had only 10 degrees C increments, hence I set it to 170 degrees C)
Bake cookies for a good 18 minutes until golden brown.
Leave on the trays for a few minutes and cool them on wired racks.
They may feel soft while warm. On cooling they acquire a crunch and a harder texture.
The ginger jam had some small pieces of ginger in it and as with the bite, the feel of these pieces tasted purely delicious, that made me wonder how much preserved stem ginger would enhance the taste.
I took it for my friend's son who could not stop picking another even before he would finish one.
I am happy to have baked these even though they did not look anywhere comparable to the professionally baked picture that the book featured.

Find these Ginger nuts included in this month's edition of Baking from a book happening @ Ruchika cooks!







22 comments:

  1. i love the mcvities ginger ones..urs look perfect and yumm..

    ReplyDelete
  2. A perfect, crispy biscuit and would like to have it with tea. You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow they look so perfect n delicious ...u made it very nicely dear ....love ur explanation style too...love it ...

    Satya
    http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely crunchy and perfectly baked biscuits and to be honest these r my favourite too.I always have a pack of ginger biscuits at home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These ginger cookies look golden brown and delicious.Perfect with acuppa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Mcvitties.. digestives.. and need it with my tea every morning n evening...
    Can imagine.. Beautifully made...
    Woow.. taste n aroma close to mcvitties.. mm now tats called perfection ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wowwwwwwwww.. looks perfect.. absolutely delicious.. yummyy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crispy biscuit lataji. Can you give me idea how can i make preserved stem ginger.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all. Wow! so many of us love ginger nuts:)
    Swathi, the recipe is in the book, I have not tried it yet..It is a long process, which i would love to try if I had the time. Send me your e-mail id to my gmail. i shall send you the recipe copied from the book..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love ginger biscuits too...
    I remember Amma making ginger syrup and we used to dilute it with soda nd enjoy it :)
    If we dont have ginger jam what can we add????

    ReplyDelete
  11. Luv Mcvities!!! Ginger Biscuits looks great!!! Great to have it with Tea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aps, I have substituted preserved stem ginger with the jam. I think stem ginger is available in big stores.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks awesome.. I love these..Always have them in my cookie jar:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow i really liked the recipe .. home made is the best so this is really fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds really good,I have to yet test my skills in baking cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I truly appreciate how you were able to whip up these delicious looking spiced up biscuits with available ingredients. Three cheers to you

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummy looking crunchy biscuits. Has a professional touch. Bookmarked.It would be unfair if I do not mention the amazing clicks which has enhanced the look of the biscuits:):)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for the two entries aunty. They look delicious and they are eggless too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, I'm going to try and use this recipe & add lemon oil to it, since I noticed on the ingredients of ginger nuts, lemon oil is mentioned. Thanks loads, and I'll tell you how it turns out :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
Welcome and thank you for taking time to drop by.
I appreciate your valuable comments and tips.
I sincerely hope to improve with them.
Hope we shall interact often.
Thanks once again,
Lata Raja.