Saturday, July 18, 2009

Pappadam Canapes

I usually microwave pappadams for my husband. I had packed two 50s pack of MTR pappadam in the container along with other foodstuff leaving Bahrain to Ghana. I happened to watch these curl themselves like caps and wondered if I can do a filling and serve. That was a brainwave which resulted in my innovative starters. Also, on most occasions I sprout green gram for salads. There stemmed my idea for 'protein rich filling'. And I got one dish easily microwave cooked and rich in protein.




You may need:
6 small size pappadams.
Few drops of oil to rub on either side of pappadams.
1/4 cup of bean sprouts.
2 tomatoes chopped.
1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds soaked until soft.
2 tablespoons onion paste.
1/2 teaspoon ginger paste.
1/2 teaspoon green chilli paste.
1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder.
Few curry leaves chopped.
Few coriander leaves chopped.
Salt to taste.
1teaspoon mustard seeds.
1teaspoon oil for tempering.



Rub little oil on both sides of pappadams. Arrange in a single circle on an absorbent tissue on the turn table of the microwave. Microwave on 100% power for 40 to 50 seconds. Keep aside.
In a microwave safe bowl put oil and heat for 30 seconds. Add the mustards and allow to crackle.
Add the fenugreek and all the pastes. On medium power cook them until slightly dry.
Drop the sprouts, sprinkle some water, cover and cook for 4 minutes.
Open, stir and add chopped tomatoes, salt and redchilli powder. Cook covered again on medium power for 2 minutes. Let it stand for further two minutes.
Open and mix well. Add chopped curry leaves and coriander leaves.
Just before serving, arrange the curled pappadams on a plate and fill them with the beans filling and serve as starters with stirfry hot and sour soup.
I am forwarding this to MEC: protein rich Foods from Microwave hosted by Ramya originally started by Srivalli.

11 comments:

  1. I love the platting, very creative and cute recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey this is a lovely, easy and nutritious snack. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats a nice starter, And calorie free.
    Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Idea there Lata

    ReplyDelete
  5. xllnt presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all of you. Glad that you like these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely idea to include sprouts as well - what a healthy and tasty starter that must make. I MW appalam and most kinds of vadaams too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a lovely and healthy dish Lata. Very inviting presentation too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love canopes,I had with chaat filling,this one with papadam and sprouts filling sounds very healthy!

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
Welcome and thank you for taking time to drop by.
I appreciate your valuable comments and tips.
I sincerely hope to improve with them.
Hope we shall interact often.
Thanks once again,
Lata Raja.