Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Arisi Upma Kozhukkattai

This is a simple, but sumptuously filling food. Can be had for breakfast, dinner or evening tiffin provided you keep your dinner options very light. This is easily digestable as it is steamed twice.

You can avoid the cashews and peanuts.



Ingredients:
Raw rice -1 cup
Thuvar dhal -2 tablespoons
Red chillies - 2 pieces
Whole black pepper -1 teaspoon
Urid dhal -2 tablespoons
Coconut (grated) - 1 tablespoon
Green Chillies -2 pieces
Ginger -small piece
Curry leaves - few
Mustard seeds -1 teaspoon
Channa dhal - 2 teaspoons
Cashews and roasted peanuts (optional)- just a few
Oil/Ghee -1 1/2 tablespoons.
Salt to taste





Put raw rice, thuvar dhal, red chillies and black pepper in the mixie and dry grind to semolina consistency.You may seive the finer powder and use for dosais etc.
Soak urad dhal for about 20 minutes.
Grind to a fine paste the urid dhal, coconut, ginger and green chillies. (you may chop these and use in whole , grinding only the urad.)
In a heavy pan, put 1/2 tablespoon ghee. Add mustard seeds. When they crackle add the channa dhal, cashews and peanuts and the chilly,ginger coconut if you had not ground alongwith the urad.
Toast them until nuts are brown. Add curry leaves and salt. Add about 2 1/4 cups of water.
Bring to a boil and reducing the flame to very low, add 1 tablespoon ghee, the urad dhal paste and stirring well, gently add the rice powder. Stir constantly for few minutes.
Transfer to a vessel that will fit in your steamer and steam for 10 minutes.
Take it out and let it cool. If there were any lumps, break them well. Shape the kozhukkattais and steam again for 10 minutes.
You may have them without any accompaniment. But if you must, serve with chutney, thokku, tomato ketchup etc.

12 comments:

  1. I have never tried this lata.. need to try once have bookmarked it. I have tasted everytime in many friends place i like it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually remember having these one evening when we visited you in JB... yummy :) Haven't made these in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At that point I was not grinding urad with the recipe.Later my sister Mala told me about the addition as it makes the kozhukkattai softer,especially if we were to eat them for dinner at night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Upma Kozhukattai looks great ..My husband loves it..Will give this a try sometime..Adding urad dal is new to me, thanks for the tip.

    Do pls accept the Lovely Blog award. I would like to share it with you.

    http://visitmykitchen.blogspot.com/2009/06/lovely-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of it, sounds yumm and looks fabulous. Will have to try that soon

    ReplyDelete
  6. i saw arisi upma kozhukkattaia and came running here..this is one of my favs and its been ages since ive had some!! :)nice blog you've got here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First time to ur blog...u have a nice one out here.My fav Kozhakattai....felt so nostalgic reading this recipe....reminded me of my Mom's.Oh how much i miss her.This one looks very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A big THANK YOU, Ann, Superchef and Nithya.The response is overwhelming. SOWMYA, Hugs and Thank you dear.I don't know if I deserve that.And please bear with me until I learn how to go about stuff like that and include such nice things in my posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mom too makes this exactly the same way,but now a days i am not doing this..should start making this myself,looks so tempting :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Rajeshwari for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This brings back fond memories of my grandmother's arisi upma kozhukattai. We call them "pidi kozhukkattai" :-). Thanks for sharing this. It's been ages since I made this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Arisi Upma kozhukkattai is one of my favorites. Love having it with hot coffee for breakfast.Your pics are bringing back fond memories of childhood.

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
Welcome and thank you for taking time to drop by.
I appreciate your valuable comments and tips.
I sincerely hope to improve with them.
Hope we shall interact often.
Thanks once again,
Lata Raja.